Thursday, December 23, 2010

Loving Will

So we had two Christmas programs for Will last week, and all-in-all they went better than last year's.  Last year he sat up on the stage with a halo on and just shook his head back and forth.  When he got tired of that he wandered around the auditorium aimlessly.  At least this year we got a few songs out of him...but not without some mishaps.  If you know Will, you know that he does his own thing.  He has a really hard time listening and parenting is often very frustrating for us.  His behavior is something I am very self-conscious about when out in public, and subtle hints from people about ADHD don't make it any better.  We were told by one person that "God has given us a challenge."  Yes, I'm aware.  This comment hurt a little when they said it, but it's true.  Will is a gift from God just the way he is.  I have a really hard time seeing it that way and I really hate to say it as a mom, but sometimes I have a hard time loving him when we're dealing with harder behavioral issues.  I have such a fear of how other people look at us with Will that I focus only on that...Do other people think we're good parents?  What do they think when my child won't listen to me?  I compare him to other kids and I compare Gregg and myself to other parents.  I loose sight of the bigger picture and the true gift that he is.  One mom in my MOPS group said it best - "just love him."  (She was talking about her husband, but it applies here, too.)  Yes, Will is a challenge, but he is a challenge that God chose to give us specifically.  So I'm learning to love him for who he is...just as he is.  Does that mean I'm going to just sit back and let him do whatever.  Not at all.  But I am going to be more intentional about loving him even through the hard times, and focusing on showing Jesus to him instead of wondering what the people sitting in the next pew think of my parenting skills.  Amidst all of this, God still gives us precious moments.  Due to freezing rain, canceled appointments, and baby naps, Will and I got a good solid 30 minutes of snuggle time this morning.  I can't remember the last time that happened, and I am truly thankful for it.

Eating his antlers before the program.

Doing the Reindeer Pokey. (On of the cooperative moments.)

 The not-so-cooperative moments.
Saying his lines as a donkey. "Clop, clop, clop."

Then moments later eating his donkey nose.  Man, I love this kid.

2 comments:

  1. I love this boy also. I think that you and Gregg are doing an awesome job as parents. You guys are terrific. It's so easy to compare ourselves with others or get worried about what others may say or think. I still find myself doing that at times but the only One we answer to is God. He accepts us no matter what. I love you my sweet daughter. I remember special times with you. They bring tears to my eye. Thank you for showing me grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny photos! I identify with you! Only Gabe doesn't always show himself in public. But I know what happens at home. Oy. ~ Trina

    ReplyDelete