Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Sweetest Things

When I got my RA diagnosis I figured I had to start thinking about finding some sort of physical outlet since I couldn't run anymore.  I decided to try swimming.  So I bought a pass to our local swim center and decided I might as well get the family pass so it could be something we could all do together.  We've been trying to go at least once a week as a family and it's been such a good time to get out of the house together and be active at the same time.  Will discovered my goggles pretty early on and has been asking almost on a daily basis if we can get him some too (mine were just too big for his little noggin).  Well we finally made a trip to buy the highly prized goggles, and he was so happy with his new treasure that he hardly took them off the entire day.  Seriously he wore them everywhere...on all our errands, out to lunch, in the bath...you know, testing them out.  He was also non-stop asking...of course...when are we going swimming?!?!?!


So today after church we decided Gregg would take Will while I stayed home with Micah so he could nap.  On our way home from church Gregg asked me if I wanted to take him.  Oh no, that's okay...I'm really tired...you can take him...I'll stay home and maybe take a nap, too.  I have been fighting crazy fatigue with this RA, so this seemed like a logical thing to do this afternoon...I need a NAP!!  Not too long after this I decided that yes, I would be the one to take Will.  I'll push through the tired and just do it...sounded like Gregg was hoping to get a run in while Micah was sleeping.  Ok, Will...let's go.


I don't know why I all of a sudden decided to be the one to take him.  I don't know if it was mommy guilt, or obligation, or just a poor judgement call of a tired brain, but I took Will swimming.  He was so crazy excited to go and just chattered the whole way over to the swim center.  He could hardly wait to get into the pool...

 "Mom, put my goggles on...

...do you have yours? 

Put your goggles on...

...take my shoes off...

...we got to go under the water." 

Again, I don't know why I decided to go, but I'm so grateful for the time we had today...just me and my Will.  We swam for an hour at least...which really consisted of him, shielded with a huge dose of big boy confidence afforded him by his newly purchased goggles, submerging himself under the water for as long as he could stand it and me standing ever so closely by making sure he was still...for lack of a better word...alive under there.  He was having the time of his life...and I was enjoying every second of it too.  After too many "Just one more time, mom"'s and "how 'bout five more minutes"'s, we finally decided to end our afternoon at another one of our favorite family hangouts...the DQ.

So I got some fries and he got a blizzard and we shared.  He kept on chattering...told me about his days at school, about how he's doing a good job listening, about how he loves Jesus.  It truly was one of the sweetest times we've had together.  Before he went off to bed tonight he snuggled with me under a blanket and I asked him if he had fun today.  "YES!"  What was your favorite part...do you remember what we did?  "We went swimming, we had ice cream, and we had fun talking."  Yes, my little baby boy who's growing up way faster than I'd like, those were my favorite parts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment