Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Speaking of Perspective...

I hate my floors...hate!  I know it's a strong word, but every time I mop, no matter how hard I scrub the dirt just sits in those little divots (do you see 'em?)...oooh, it really makes me steam.  I curse the stupid mop...I curse the maker of the tile...I curse the person who chose this tile...Really?  Light tile, light grout (that's actually not so light any more)...who puts this stuff in their house?  Every time I mop I vow to go floor shopping the next day because there is no way I'm mopping this floor again!  I can't live with these conditions...seriously!!!  And man, don't get me started on the purple carpet.  That's right, it's purple.  Purple.  Did I mention I hate my floors?

So today, being a week out from the last mopping experience - I try to stretch it as long as I can because it just gets my heart rate up too high and that's not good for anyone - anyway, today this wasn't even a thought in my mind as I rushed out the door with Micah on my way to pick Will up from school.  I was trying to get going a few minutes early so I could make a Starbuck's run beforehand...not my normal practice, but I had a little money in my pocket (also not normal) and it sounded good.  So off we went.  Oh, wait...not before checking the mail first.  Huh...an envelope from Compassion International with the words "Message from your Sponsor Child" on the outside.  Fun!  I like getting their little notes and drawings.  So even though I was in a bit of a hurry I opened the letter.

I admit...I'm guilty of rifling through the papers and tossing aside all the printed form letters that sometimes come with those notes.  All the "thank you for your sponsorship," "it really means a lot to them"...you know, that sort of thing.  So I went about my normal practice of getting to the "good stuff"...the note from my child.  Nothing.  Huh.  So I looked back through the form letters.  One of them was a letter from the pastor of the church where one of our children (Eugenia) attends.  That was my message.

So I read it and halfway through the letter, I became terribly convicted. In the letter her pastor talked about the living conditions in the Nicaraguan city where they live.  He talked about how many people lived in cardboard, plastic, or tin houses.  Many have dirt floors.  Often times families only have enough money to buy food for that day.  I can't even imagine what that would be like.  I have to plan ahead and make sure I use all the food in my fridge before it spoils.  We are never lacking for food...we often abuse the abundance by going out too often and over-eating.  And the floors...I complain about having a floor that traps dirt when a lot of their floors are made of dirt.  Holy cow.  How do I so easily forget about the blessings the Lord has bestowed upon me?

Now the point of the letter wasn't to make me feel guilty about our living conditions.  The point was to give us a better understanding of where Eugenia lives...what her life is like on a day to day basis...so we can feel more of a connection to her...it makes her more real.  It did exactly that.  I am guilty of not thinking of her and praying for her as often as I should.  I send off my money once a year...once a year so I don't forget to do it monthly...and I don't remember to pray for her consistently.  I don't remember that there's a little girl in Central America thankful for me.  Who maybe even prays for me when she is more than likely faced with things on a day to day basis that I can't even imagine happening in my lifetime.  Did I mention I hate my floors?

This evening I am thankful.  I am thankful I have a Father in Heaven who ever so lovingly and subtly takes my mind from the material things of this world and refocuses them on the things that matter...the people that matter.  Material things are nice...and there's nothing wrong with them...until they start to become your priority.  Is it my priority to get new floors or make sure God's Word is preached to the nations?  Is it my priority to have a nice car or respond to God's call to take care of orphans and widows?  Is it my priority to have my boys dressed super cutely and perfectly or make sure a child over in Swaziland has a pair of shoes he can wear?  Thank you, Lord for redirecting my thoughts today.  Thank you for Eugenia...and sweetie...now when I mop my floors, I'll think of you and pray for you.

For more info on sponsoring a child through Compassion... http://www.compassion.com/ 

1 comment: