Friday, February 11, 2011

The Man They Called Scorch

Captain Eric "Scorch" Schmidt.  I have known Eric for a little over 10 years, but I have never referred to him with such a formal title.  To be honest, I didn't even know his official rank in the Air Force.  Of course I knew he was in the Air Force.  I knew he was a pilot.  I knew he was enlisted right out of high school before attending college.  But after that I knew little to nothing about the man his coworkers (copilots, co-Air Force people - I'm not up on the lingo) called Scorch.  I knew him as Eric...loyal brother and son, good friend, wonderful husband, awesome uncle, proud papa, devoted follower of Christ.  I never really saw him in his professional realm.  I didn't even know how he got his pilot call sign (Scorch), but apparently it had to do with some planes catching fire on more than one occasion - although I'm told it was no fault of his....riiiiight. :)  I really had no idea until last week what a true benefit he was to our Armed Forces.  Take a look at all the ribbons he received while serving his country:
I had no idea what they all meant, so I looked them up (using the internet, mind you, so I hope it was accurate).  Here are some of the meanings of a few random ones: Meritorious Service Medal, Aerial Achievement Medal, Air Force Good Conduct Medal, Southwest Asia Service Medal, Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon.  The list goes on.  Sad thing is, I'll never know what he did to receive all these...it would have been nice to know.

Last week I got a little glimpse into what Eric...Scorch...Capt. Schmidt meant to the Air Force community.  At his visitation we heard multiple stories from a copilot, fellow student from the academy, and others about his leadership skills, courage, and dedication to people.  Before his funeral the Global Strike Commander Lt. Gen. James Kowalski personally told the family we could truly be proud of Eric and the job he did.  At his funeral he was honored with Taps, a 21 gun salute, and a B-52 fly over.  They repeated the fly over at his burial service in Enid, OK.  Both planes were flown by those who served with him and called him friend.  After the service in LA, some of the guys in his squadron took us to see where he worked and give us a little more insight into what he did on a day to day basis and the impact he had on those around him.  The whole experience, though incredibly sad, was awesome and one I will never forget. 

I can honestly say I was proud of Eric before...mostly because he was incredible man of God and he lived out his faith every day.  I can see now that he extended that to the workplace.  When I think of what we were shown last week, with Eric's dedication to his job, country, and the people he interacted with every day, I am reminded of Colossians 3:23-24.  It says: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord you are serving."  What an incredible example he set for the rest of us in all areas of his life.  I am now ever more so proud of my brother-in-law for the way he served his country, but mostly for the way he served his God.

2 comments:

  1. I really don't have words, but I am humbled by what I read. I am glad you got to go with Gregg to experience it all.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing life of young man. You're fabulous at putting it in words Martha.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete