Friday, January 21, 2011

Mini-Marathon Training - Laying the Ground Rules

So I've decided to run a mini-marathon in June.  This decision didn't come about without some major thought, mind you.  Many of you know I ran a full marathon when Will was a year old, but since then haven't done any competitive running.  Or really any running for that matter.  To be honest I've missed it.  It gives me time to process my thoughts, pray, or just veg out.  And anyone who has done any sort of competitive event like this will tell you there's nothing like it.  It was awesome to have people sit out on their porch, watch you run by, and cheer you on as you're in the midst of this mental and physical challenge.  I've been waiting to do another one...the timing just hasn't been right.  Well I took one look in the mirror this morning (YIKES) and decided it was time.  So today is Day 1 of Mini-Marathon training.  I decided since I have a husband, two little guys, work, and a relationship with God (should have listed that first) I need to set some ground rules before I get too far into it.  So here they are...

1.  Before I can do my daily run, I HAVE to read my Bible.  I'm not talking sit down for five minutes and check it off the list.  I'm talking meaningful time in the Word with prayer and meditation.  This may mean getting up at 4am - I'm still a nursing momma and there are also days I have to work at 7am.  I think my theme song will be Jeremy Camp's "Give Me Jesus" - you know..."In the morning, when I rise, give me Jesus."

2.  I have to put the needs of my family first.  That means running when the kids are asleep or playing well by themselves.  This is happening more and more...last year I couldn't get five minutes in without Will getting so frustrated with a toy that he practically had a melt down.  I did have to stop today to wipe his bottom - comes with the territory! :)

3.  I will not let it be a stressor to my husband.  Gregg is great, and he fully supported me when I ran my first marathon.  When it got to my longer runs, that meant four hours at home while I just ran.  Thankfully I'm just doing the mini this time, so that cuts everything in half.  But if it in any way causes strain, I am making a commitment right now to stop.

4.  This is about being healthy, so I have to eat healthy, too.  I can't say, "I ran today, I can go to Culver's."  That is unless Gregg is craving a butter burger, which happens from time to time.  Even then, I vow to get soup and/or a side salad. 

5.  I have to keep my house in good order.  This means keeping up on the dishes, laundry, vacuuming, etc.  This really doesn't take much time if I just stay on top of it...that's usually where the problem lies. 

There's lots more, but in the interest of not boring everyone to death, I'll stop here.  I am going to ask something of you, though.  KEEP ME ACCOUNTABLE!!  The first question I'd like you to ask me when/if you see me is, "Did you read your Bible today?"  Then, "Did you run today?"  Those are the two questions of necessity.  Feel free to ask me anything else pertaining to these rules as well, including how LONG I ran.  Last but not least, meet my running buddy!


Anybody who knows this kid is aware he is a runnin' fool!  He loves to run and have his turn on the treadmill after mommy's done.  Hopefully he'll keep this love of running and maybe be my real running buddy one day...although he'd probably smoke me!  I can only hope!

3 comments:

  1. That is great! I am training for one too. The one I am hoping to do is at the end of April. I haven't told too many yet, still trying to figure out if it is do-able. I did a sprint tri-athlon last year and agree with everything you say in your ground rules. The swimming was too much to keep up with and still keep up with my other more important roles. That is way I decided to try this instead. I wish we lived closer and could run together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be fun...always good to have a running buddy. I think a tri would be too hard, too. We bought a used treadmill last year, so it's easy to just take 30 to 45 min and just go run. Will usually comes downstairs with me and plays. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Martha I will be praying for you both in your running as well as with your walk with the Lord. This challenges me to eat healthy but above all having my time in the Word. I want to start memorizing scriptures but I need someone to check me. I would like for you to be that person if you would. Keep me accountable to this.

    ReplyDelete